9 spring garden dangers

Posted by

Now that we’ve gained an extra hour of light in our days, we can start filling it with long walks with our canine companions and longer afternoons playing in the garden together. No season is without its hazards, and there are a few things to be aware of in order to keep your dog safe during the spring months. Here’s what you need to look out for:

Spring bulbs

Some of our favourite gorgeous spring flowers like daffodils, tulips and hyacinths begin their days as bulbs that if eaten, can cause stomach upset in your dog. This is typically shown by vomiting and diarrhoea.

Garden chemicals & slug pellets

Some pesticides and weed killers can be toxic to dogs, whether they’re consumed fully or just licked. Symptoms can vary from sickness, vomiting and diarrhoea to organ failure and even death if left untreated. During the spring months, try to reduce the use of slug bait, poisons, weed killers or other artificial chemicals that your dog could lick, eat or roll in.

Stinging insects

Bee and wasp stings can be painful and may need vet treatment if they become very swollen, particularly around the face where they are most likely in curious dogs.

Rat poison

You might not use rat poison but rats may carry it into your garden from elsewhere. If consumed, dogs can display symptoms including: having difficulty breathing, appearing weak or lethargic, blood appearing in stools or vomit, pale gums or bruising. Rat poison can cause clotting issues and internal bleeding in dogs and even be fatal if consumed and left untreated, so head to your vet immediately if you’re concerned.

Broken glass, nails, wire

Check your lawn, shrubs or bushes for any dangerous objects that could harm your dog that might have accumulated through the winter months, such as rubble, broken glass, jagged metal or wire. If stepped on by a paw, these objects can cause painful injuries like skin lacerations which may need emergency treatment at the vets.

Poisonous plants

Check your garden for any poisonous plants. Some dogs have more of a tendency to chew leaves or graze on plants than others, but it’s best to be safe. See our full list of toxic plants below so you can check which ones to get rid of.

Mushrooms

If eaten, mushrooms can be highly toxic to dogs and can cause life-threatening problems in dogs. Always assume that no mushroom is a good mushroom and keep dogs away from any area where mushrooms may grow.

Grass seeds

Grass seeds have a nasty habit of embedding themselves in the skin, especially between the pads of the feet. They can dig deep into the soft tissue causing a painful foreign body reaction or abscess.

Escape routes

Dogs are inquisitive by nature, so check for any potential escape routes that they might choose to venture out through and block them off.

A fully bloomed garden looks beautiful in the sunshine, but certain plants and flowers can be toxic to dogs if consumed. Check the list below to make sure your growing garden is totally dog-safe.

Toxic_plants.png

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s