We’re not ashamed to admit that quite a few of us here in the tails.com office are somewhat addicted to peanut butter. We go through a considerable amount each week and some of us have even been known to spread it on a Twix. (Try it, seriously).
You’ll often see photos and videos of dogs loving peanut butter too. Whether it’s to be licked off a spoon or stuffed into a kong toy, that slightly cloying texture mixed with a combination of savoury yet sweet flavour is definitely worth sitting for, and maybe even giving a paw too. But before you reach for the jar, you’ll need to make sure it’s suitable for your canine companion.
Some brands of peanut butter include the sweetener Xylitol, which can also be found in chewing gum, yoghurt and toothpaste. If consumed by dogs, Xylitol is highly toxic and can cause liver failure, seizures and even death in some cases. The signs of Xylitol poisoning are usually apparent within 30 minutes of consumption and can include:
- Muscle weakness
- Trouble with walking
When choosing a peanut butter to treat your dog to, always check the ingredients list to make sure Xylitol isn’t included. If you suspect your dog is suffering from Xylitol poisoning, contact your vet immediately.
Whether it’s used as an ingredient in home-baked treats or just licked off a spoon, peanut butter is delicious. Take a look at these dogs having the time of their lives whilst eating it.
Note: Although peanut butter features in the classic combination of peanut butter and jelly (jam), you’ll need to resist any eager eyes that try to stare you down as you enjoy it, as jam contains high amounts of sugar that shouldn’t be consumed by dogs.